Monday, March 16, 2009

Music education


I have had a few days to ruminate on the performance of Airport last Friday. I enjoyed the performance, but I am not sure why exactly. I don't mean that as harshly as it looks in print. It simply wasn't music as I know it. It was certainly art and expressionistic, but my conformity-minded brain wanted more structure. I was taking pictures that night and I think that got in the way of my understanding of what was happening on stage. I was distracted by the crowd's reaction. The sitting down part caught me off guard and fascinated me. Next time I will focus solely on the noise and see where it takes me.

2 comments:

Jeff Coates said...

OK - It is a little odd that my Son makes music with a broken guitar - only 4 of 6 strings work.

I sat down in front and relly paid attention to how the sounds were made, the flow of the noise. I really enjoyed the show. It was way better than I expected.

Great Job Son!

Brendan Coates said...

I really appreciate that you came out. I know I subjected you to an untold number of bad orchestra concerts over the years. I've been trying to explain this phenomenon to people, that, "if you just see us, you'll know." suffice to say that you're not alone in the catagory of people-who-like-airport-without-a-good-reason.

On a nearly related note, I have the privilege of writing a paper on the recordings of Norman Whitfield and I'll post the highlights as soon as I finish.