Friday, February 6, 2009

TSA Screening at Indianapolis Airport

I had an interesting experience on my way home from Indianapolis on Thursday evening.

I am pretty good at getting through the security screening without excessive trouble. I removed my belt and shoes. Placed the laptop and portable projector in separate bins. Took the foil covered Lactaid and wallet with the metal clip out of my pockets.

I passed through the metal detector with no problem. However, I did not pass the Full Body Scan. Details of this process are at http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/fullbodyscan.htm

The problem turned out to be the Chapstick in my pocket! Hard to imagine that is a threat to anyone.

The funny thing I realized later on was that I had forgot to remove the clear plastic bag with my shaving kit liquids from my suitcase. That went through the X-Ray scanner without an issue.

1 comment:

Brendan Coates said...

i have so many punch lines, i don't know where to begin:
-i feel safer knowing your chapstick was not allowed to hijack a plane.
-what about the .38 special that never leaves your side?
-you know, with a little white vinegar and a coffee filter you can actually turn chapstick into pure napalm
-the tsa should really get some mri machines in there because there's something people have on planes that's way more dangerous than any physical weapon: ideas.