Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Travel TV


I'm in Indianapolis Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. So, Wednesday night I decide to workout at the hotel. Fitness room is just a couple treadmills and a widescreen TV but no HD. The hotel has locked the settings to stretch so everything is a little distorted and fuzzy (maybe it's my eyes).


Anyway, I flip through a bunch of channels and I find college hockey. The NCAA East Regional Finals - Air Force vs Vermont. Start of the 3rd period. Cool!


I put my headphones on with Cheap Trick at Budkan - TV volume off and the WSJ for reading. Perfect. After a while jogging I speed up the treadmill and stop reading and start watching the game. The print is too small to read when my head is bouncing around.
So there is like 5 minutes left in the 3rd. I look at the ESPNU score banner and I think Vermont is up 3-2. But Airforce is not playing like it's the end of the game. I can't figure why they are playing back and they don't pull the goalie. Period is over and the big score graphic comes on and it really is 2-2. They are going to overtime.


That explains why they were playing so defensively. The OT starts and I see on the small banner graphic that 3 is the seed or poll ranking or something for Vermont but it was not the score.


OK - I was confused or blind or the TV was blurry. Anyway now we are in overtime and I am at about a mile and a quarter. More jogging more music - love the album.


Then with 10 minutes to go there is video review. TV volume is still off cause I don't want to miss the last couple tracks including Surrender. ( I ripped the songs from the 1998 2 CD release).



ESPNU is showing something that is not very controversial. A save by Air Force goalie, an Air Force player in the net and then the puck is covered by an Air Force player at the edge of the crease. I'm not sure what the delay is for. Maybe covering puck with glove in crease (not the goalie). That would be a penalty shot. OK.


ESPNU has a camera behind the official scorers and we can see the NCAA replay monitor. The two refs are not watching the same play that ESPNU has been showing. They are watching something else. TV sound still off cause Surrender is just starting and no way I'm turning that song off.


So finally ESPNU gets the right replay. A shot by Vermont from the point that seemed to go wide. They they slow it down and show more angles and then frame by frame. They are taking forever. By now the last song on disc one Auf Wiedersehen is playing.


Finally they have the frame by fram overhead view zoomed in -


The puck went through the net!!!


Amazing


Disc One is over so I turn up the TV volume just as the refs signal goal for Vermont. The players go crazy. And the announcer says "good thing this is Saturday night because its pretty late.


So - I was watching a replay. I have been on the road since Thursday morning and I had missed the whole regional brackets. Out of touch with hockey - so sad.


There is a message in all this - I wish I knew what it was.

No comments: